Gifted and Talented Program
The Students Exceeding and Excelling in Developmental Skills (SEEDS) program is a gifted and talented withdrawal program for primary school Year 2 to 6 students.
Our Academic Extension Program caters to the gifted and talented students from year 2 - 6. It offers multi- aged groups across both campuses opportunities to engage with like-minded peers and be challenged. The SEEDS program is centered around the Australian Curriculum General Capabilities; critical and creative thinking, an essential tool for contemporary learning.
The key purpose of identifying gifted and talented students is to provide appropriate learning opportunities that meet student needs. At Mel Maria Catholic Primary School, we use a broad range of objective and subjective measures. Blanket testing of all Year 4 students occurs each year with individual schools testing their own students.
Programs focus on:
- social interaction with gifted and talented peers
- intellectual rigour and challenge
- pursuit of excellence
- development of higher order process skills
- in-depth investigations of real problems
- open-ended activities which encourage choice and negotiation
- students working at their own pace
- self/peer evaluation and reflection of performance
Identified students are selected to participate in differentiated programs offered, and students will receive an invitation into the program/s that best suit their academic needs.